Through 10 centuries, so many anniversaries to remember! Classical music covers 10 centuries of history, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. There are many opportunities each year to celebrate great composers, creations or emblematic venues of classical music. So many anniversaries! From January to December, there is always a good reason to discover a musician, to rediscover a work. And above all, 365 opportunities to be curious.
Essential celebrations in 2018
Some dates to remember in 2018:
- 1678-03-04, Antonio Vivaldi (Birth, 1681-01-01)
- 1918-03-25, Claude Debussy (Death, 1921-01-01)
- 1843-06-15, Edvard Grieg (Birth, 1846-01-01)
- 1828-11-19, Franz Schubert (Death, 1831-01-01)
- 1858-12-22, Giacomo Puccini (Birth, 1861-01-01)
No fewer than 8 centenarians are expected in 2018 (and 2 multi-centenarians). This year, among the great figures of classical music to be commemorated are: César Cui (March), Claude Debussy (March), Birgit Nilsson (May), Charles Gounod (June), Leonard Bernstein (August).
2018, a special year for some orchestras and venues
These orchestras celebrate in 2018:
- 100th anniversary (1918)
and these venues as well: