Essential commemorations and anniversaries in classical music in 2019
Through 10 centuries, so many anniversaries to remember! Classical music covers 10 centuries of history, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. There are many opportunities each year to celebrate great composers, creations or emblematic venues of classical music. So many anniversaries! From January to December, there is always a good reason to discover a musician, to rediscover a work. And above all, 365 opportunities to be curious.
Essential celebrations in 2019
Some dates to remember in 2019:
- 1869-03-08, Hector Berlioz (Death, 1871-01-01)
- 1759-04-14, George Frideric Handel (Death, 1761-01-01)
- 1809-05-31, Joseph Haydn (Death, 1811-01-01)
- 1999-07-29, Anatoliy Solovyanenko (Death, 2001-01-01)
- 1849-10-17, Frédéric Chopin (Death, 1851-01-01)
No fewer than 10 centenarians are expected in 2019 (and 10 multi-centenarians). This year, among the great figures of classical music to be commemorated are: Stanisław Moniuszko (May), Jacques Offenbach (June), Ruggero Leoncavallo (August), Clara Schumann (September), Leopold Mozart (November)... and many more.
And what’s going on 2020?