Essential commemorations and anniversaries in classical music in 2021
Through 10 centuries, so many anniversaries to remember! Classical music covers 10 centuries of history, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. There are many opportunities each year to celebrate great composers, creations or emblematic venues of classical music. So many anniversaries! From January to December, there is always a good reason to discover a musician, to rediscover a work. And above all, 365 opportunities to be curious.
Essential celebrations in 2021
Some dates to remember in 2021:
- 1901-01-27, Giuseppe Verdi (Death, 1901-01-01)
- 1971-04-06, Igor Stravinsky (Death, 1971-01-01)
- 1741-07-28, Antonio Vivaldi (Death, 1741-01-01)
- 1971-09-18, Anna Netrebko (Birth, 1971-01-01)
- 1791-12-05, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Death, 1791-01-01)
No fewer than 20 centenarians are expected in 2021 (and 7 multi-centenarians). This year, among the great figures of classical music to be commemorated are: Mario Lanza (January), Astor Piazzolla (March), Enrico Caruso (August), Josquin des Prez (August), Camille Saint-Saëns (December)... and many more.
And what’s going on 2022?