Essential commemorations and anniversaries in classical music in 2023
Through 10 centuries, so many anniversaries to remember! Classical music covers 10 centuries of history, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. There are many opportunities each year to celebrate great composers, creations or emblematic venues of classical music. So many anniversaries! From January to December, there is always a good reason to discover a musician, to rediscover a work. And above all, 365 opportunities to be curious.
Essential celebrations in 2023
Some dates to remember in 2023:
- 1883-02-13, Richard Wagner (Death, 1881-01-01)
- 1833-05-07, Johannes Brahms (Birth, 1831-01-01)
- 1843-06-15, Edvard Grieg (Birth, 1841-01-01)
- 1893-10-25, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Death, 1891-01-01)
- 1803-12-11, Hector Berlioz (Birth, 1801-01-01)
No fewer than 2 centenarians are expected in 2023 (and 3 multi-centenarians). This year, among the great figures of classical music to be commemorated are: Edouard Lalo (January), György Ligeti (May), William Byrd (July), Maria Callas De Las Mercedes (December), Carl Friedrich Abel (December).
2023, a special year for some orchestras and venues
These orchestras celebrate in 2023:
- 500th anniversary (1523)
- Bavarian State Orchestra (Germany)
- 100th anniversary (1923)
and these venues as well: