Essential commemorations and anniversaries in classical music in 2024
Through 10 centuries, so many anniversaries to remember! Classical music covers 10 centuries of history, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. There are many opportunities each year to celebrate great composers, creations or emblematic venues of classical music. So many anniversaries! From January to December, there is always a good reason to discover a musician, to rediscover a work. And above all, 365 opportunities to be curious.
Essential celebrations in 2024
Some dates to remember in 2024:
- 1824-03-02, Bedřich Smetana (Birth, 1821-01-01)
- 1904-05-01, Antonín Dvořák (Death, 1901-01-01)
- 1824-09-04, Anton Bruckner (Birth, 1821-01-01)
- 1849-10-17, Frédéric Chopin (Death, 1846-01-01)
- 1924-11-29, Giacomo Puccini (Death, 1921-01-01)
No fewer than 7 centenarians are expected in 2024 (and 3 multi-centenarians). This year, among the great figures of classical music to be commemorated are: Bedřich Smetana (March), Henry Mancini (April), Anton Bruckner (September), Gabriel Fauré (November), Giacomo Puccini (November).
2024, a special year for some orchestras
These orchestras celebrate in 2024: