The great lyrical singers Africa
Gasparyan or Korsten? Coertse or Kakudji? It is difficult for inquiring minds to tackle a field as large and diverse as the lyrical art, covering 10 centuries of history: there are many lyrical artists in the world. Making a selection of musicians, such as a “top 10” for example, is a difficult and subjective exercise. A musical selection is often the expression of personal preferences or artistic opinions, very interesting but also very different according to critics or musicologists, or simply influenced by the context: will an English lyrical singer not be instinctively privileged by an English critic?
For example: in France, Roberto Alagna, a French tenor, is more popular than the Russian mezzo-soprano Elena Obraztsova, who is more renowned throughout the world.
Timeline of lyrical singers in Africa
Whoever wants to discover opera does not always have an experienced music lover, an expert or an educator at his or her side to support and guide him or her in this field. So : Gasparyan (Armenian opera singer (1924-2007)) or Korsten (South African opera singer) ? Maswanganyi (singer) or Bachtarzi (Algerian opera singer, actor, writer and director) ? However, the knowledge available about musicians is enormous. It was processed to select the 10, 25, 50... most popular lyrical singers around the world, for those living or having lived en Africa, . And this objectively, and for the first time (soclassiq exclusivity).
Lyrical singers rendered as a timeline to bring a little perspective:
This timeline is interactive to navigate through the ages or across continents (with ).
Top 10 lyrical singers in Africa
Who are these greatest lyrical singers, the most famous over the 1880-2020 era in Africa? The carreer of these musician has marked the history of lyric art. There are those you probably know, or at least by name and the others.
Here are these 10 lyrical singers, renowned artists from around the world:
What about the others? 25, 50 or more?
Summarizing to 10 musician names such a wide and diverse field may seem extreme or too simplistic for those who know lyrical art well, for those who can easily name 50 or more lyrical singers. El-Hefny, Erkat, Said, Barker, Koya, Connell, Napier...
At this time, soclassiq has listed more than 14000 lyrical singers. So here is a selection of some lyrical singers for the years 1880-2020, in Africa, widely recognized around the world:
- This selection may include highly reputed artists and musicians who have occasionally devoted themselves to classical music and not exclusively.
Tsakane Valentine MaswanganyiThe great lyrical singers
age 42 (20th century)
Timelines : Lyrical singers
- The great lyrical singers
- The great 20th-century lyrical singers [II.] (1950 - 2000)
- The great 20th-century lyrical singers [I.] (1900 - 1950)
- The great 19th-century lyrical singers (1850 - 1900)
- All lyrical singers : by voice type * by country
- by alphabetical order : A * B * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z
- Young artists (Lyrical singers)
- Composers : 10 centuries of classical music
- The great classical music conductors
- The great classical music performers
Last update : 2021-04-14