1737. With other artists, Georg Philipp Telemann, Johann Sebastian Bach and George Frideric Handel influenced their time (baroque era / classical era). That year would see the birth of future classical or lyrical artists, while others would disappear such as Antonio Stradivari. That year, new works would be composed, published or performed for the first time in public, such as “Castor et Pollux” de Jean-Philippe Rameau, for example.
All these moments, more or less notable, make the year 1737 a page in the history of classical and lyrical music to be discovered or rediscovered. soclassiq currently lists more than 50 of these moments for 1737.
1737, from day to day
Death of Michel Pignolet de MontéclairThat year: 1737, Classical music, French composer (born in 1667)
This was also in 1737
Death of Richard CharkeThat year: 1737, Classical music, English violinist, composer, operatic baritone and playwright (born in 1709). Death of Carl Johann Friedrich HaltmeierThat year: 1737, Classical music, composer (born in 1728). Birth of William PaxtonThat year: 1737, Classical music, English cellist (dead in 1781). Inauguration: Teatro di San CarloThat year: 1737, Classical music (Naples, Italy). Death of Johann Konrad GeisthirtThat year: 1737, Classical music, composer (born in 1672). Inauguration: Théâtre du CapitoleThat year: 1737, Classical music (Toulouse, France). Death of David PetersenThat year: 1737, Classical music, Dutch composer (born in 1651). Death of Giorgio GentiliThat year: 1737, Classical music, Italian composer (born in 1669).
Works (composition or publishing)
- Antonio Vivaldi (age 59)
- Catone in Utica (Opera)
- Il giorno felice (Opera)
- L’oracolo in Messenia (Opera)
- Georg Philipp Telemann (age 56)
- 6 Paris Quartets (Work for chamber orchestra)
- Jesu, deine heligen Wunden (Work for choir)
- Jean-Philippe Rameau (age 54)
- Johann Sebastian Bach (age 52)
- Angenehmes WiederauThat year: 1737, Classical music (Work for choir)
- Sonata for flute or recorder and harpsichord in B minor (Work for chamber orchestra)
- George Frideric Handel (age 52)
- Il trionfo del Tempo e della VeritàThat year: 1737, Classical music (Work for choir), published in 1707
- The ways of Zion do mourn or Funeral Anthem for Queen Caroline (Work for choir)
- I like the am'rous Youth that's free (Song, lied)
- Carco sempre di gloria (Work for choir)